Alone This Christmas? Here’s 8 Ways To Rock It Solo

While most of us are celebrating Christmas with family and friends it’s easy to forget that some are spending it alone. As someone who has spent Christmas alone, I know first-hand how sad, lonely, and down-right depressing this is.
I’m going to be alone again this year, but unlike other times, I’m looking forward to it. I plan on spending the day with a few drinks, vegging on the couch, and eating myself into a food coma.
No, I’m not anti-social, or a humbug, and I’m not crazy. And yes, I have family, but we don’t get along, and I’m currently rebuilding my social network, so I don’t have anyone close to hang out with.

But I’m OK with that.
“How are you so relaxed about it?” I hear you ask.
Simple. It is what it is.
I’m not being blaze about it. In fact it’s the complete opposite. Life is about ups-and downs, twists and turns. Rather than dwell on it and play the victim I see it as a ‘new chapter’ and an opportunity to grow.
Being OK spending Christmas, or any other day for that matter, alone didn’t just happen. It took me ages to get there, and a lot of hard work and investment in myself, as well. I mediate daily, practice self-care, do correct breathing exercises, and count my blessings. All that effort has paid off as the whole experience has made me a better man in the process: I’ve learned to enjoy my company, gained new skills, rekindled old hobbies and found new ones, improved my fitness, ditched the negative people in my life, spend more time being present, and have become more active in my community, amongst other things.

Misery Loves Company

I understand most of you may not be so relaxed and comfortable spending Christmas alone as I am. Some of you might even be dreading it. When you compound that with a mix of seemingly endless, mind-numbing media commercials telling us that Christmas is a time for family, friends, and ‘ the season to be jolly’, being alone on ‘the big day’ becomes even harder.

If you’re like I was you’ll probably jump on social media in attempt to escape your feelings, but chances are you’ll wind up teary eyed as you scroll through the seemingly endless updates, photos and videos of revellers having the time of their lives. You’ll tell yourself “I’m not doing that again,” but know ten minutes later you’ll be back at it.
Misery loves company, as the saying goes.
I think it’s safe to assume that’s not going to help, so here’s 8 ways to rock it solo this Christmas. These have all worked for me at one time or another. Chances are they’ll work for you, too. At the very least they’ll take your mind off things for a while. Remember, you are responsible for your thoughts and feelings. You can either do something and make the most of it, or wallow in self-pity – choice is yours. Doing the things suggested below don’t just help on Christmas day, either; they help anytime of the year.

8 Ways To Rock It Solo

  • Help serve lunch/dinner at a nursing home, respite center, or soup kitchen
  • Write/journal
  • Plan your next vacation
  • Attend a public event in your city/town – there’s always something going on
  • Indulge in Netflix, or re-runs of your favourite TV show or movie – I spent one Christmas alone watching the entire James Bond movies back to back
  • Go for a drive, a bike ride, or a long walk
  • Buy something from Ikea and try putting it together – this will take your mind of things for hours, trust me.
  • Knock on your neighbors door and wish them a ‘Merry Christmas’ or ‘Happy Holidays’ –when I was a kid doing this was as natural as breathing. I understand the world we live in now isn’t as care free and easy going, and doing such a thing might even be risquΓ©. I mean do neighbors even talk to each other anymore? Nevertheless, now’s the perfect time to do it.

Take It To The Next Level

If all else fails you can always get so drunk you spend the day passed out on the couch. Even better – go out and do some Next Level Comfort Zone Challenges. Who knows, we might bump into each other.

Comments